Blueberry Hot Cross Buns
Prep: 20 mins plus proving
Cook: 20 mins
You will need
- 150ml milk
- 50g butter
- 500g strong white bread flour, plus extra for kneading 1x7g sachet
- Fast action dried yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 2tsp ground mixed spice
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 100ml Sunny D (Tangy Florida)
- 150g fresh blueberries
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- A little oil for greasing
For the crosses:
- 75g plain flour
- 4-5tbsp Sunny D (Tangy Florida)
- 5tbsp apricot jam
- 1 Large baking sheet or 2 small ones
What to do
- Place the milk in a pan with the butter and heat gently until the butter has melted.
- Mix the flour, yeast, salt, mixed spice and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre of the mixture and add the warm milk mixture and egg. Mix with a wooden spoon until mixture just starts to come together then stir in Sunny D, blueberries and lemon rind.
- Tip the mixture out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 mins until smooth and elastic. Grease a mixing bowl with a little oil and add the dough, cover with cling film. Leave in a warm place to rise for 1 hr
- Turn the dough into a floured surface and knead for 1 min then divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll into balls and place onto a greased baking sheet. Cover with a large piece of lightly greased cling film. Leave in a warm place to rise for a further 1 hr.
- Pre- heat oven to 190C, Gas 5.
- To make the crosses: Mix together the flour and Sunny D in a small bowl until the mixture is of a piping consistency. Spoon into a piping bag with a small opening of about 2 mm. Pipe a cross onto each bun. Bake in oven for about 20 mins until brown. Remove buns from tray and place onto a cooling rack.
- Melt the apricot jam in a small pan with 2tbsp water. Lightly brush over the warm buns. Allow to cool then serve with butter.