These are really simply to make and taste delicious. You can add your favourite fruits to the topping.
You will need:
- 4oz/110g softened butter or margarine
- 4oz/110g caster sugar
- 4oz/110g self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk
- Icing sugar
- Your favourite fruit
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
What to do
First, line a 12 hole muffin tray with paper cases.
Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until the mixture becomes pale. Beat in the eggs a little at a time. Then add the vanilla extract.
Fold in the flour with a large metal spoon and then add the milk.
Spoon the mixture into the paper cases. You should have enough to make 12 cakes.
Bake on a middle shelf for 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool for a good 10 minutes on a wire tray.
These cupcakes are great for sharing with your friends and family. To make them even more of a treat, here's a few ideas on decorating them:
- Dusting icing sugar over cooled cakes.
- Removing a portion of the top of each cake and filling the hole with whipped cream, jam and strawberries. Split the removed portion into two and replace on top of the cake to make butterfly wings. Dust with icing sugar.
- Mix icing sugar with lemon juice and then decorate each cake.
- Mix icing sugar with water, ice the cakes and then top with your favourite fruit – chopped banana, fresh raspberries, sliced strawberries or blueberries.