Cook: 15 mins
You will need
- 8 red eating apples
- 8 wooden skewers or lolly sticks
- 400g golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- Coloured sprinkles, optional (see tip)
- Cellophane and ribbon, optional
What to do
- Wipe the Apples with a warm damp cloth to remove any wax on the Apples. This will make the toffee stick better to the apples. Dry well. Twist off stalks and pierce apples with a wooden skewer. Place on a tray lined with baking parchment.
- Place the sugar in a pan. Add 100ml of cold water. Cook over a medium heat for about 5 mins, stirring occasionally until the sugar has completely dissolved. Add the vinegar and golden syrup.
- Bring to the boil and continue boiling for about 12-15mins or until a spoonful of the mixture dropped into a bowl of cold water hardens or mixture reaches 150C on a sugar thermometer.
- Remove pan from heat and carefully dip in an apple and working quickly turn until coated. Let any excess drip back into the pan and place onto baking sheet. Continue with the remaining Apples. (The syrup will be extremely hot so keep it away from children) 5. When completely cold wrap in cellophane tied with ribbon.
- If the toffee mixture hardens before you finish coating the apples then re-heat the mixture gently.
- To coat toffee apples with sprinkles, place the sprinkles into a small bowl and quickly dip the apples in immediately after coating with the toffee.
- Toffee apples will keep for up to 2 days in a dry cool place.